Wednesday 22 May 2013

Goodbye 30, Hello 31

Crikey, I can't believe it's almost been a whole year since I turned 30! (My birthday is in early June) Where does the time go, huh?

Turning 30 last year inspired me to dig out a whole bunch of photos to make a collage with one photo for each of my 30 years...


It was so much fun, I thought it'd be nice to keep on adding to it as the years go by. So I sorted through my recent photos last week, and picked a fun picture from Christmas...


... me playing board games with my sister. The game being played? Jungle Ludo! This was a much beloved game in our house when we were growing up, we even developed our own version of the rules :)


It's the perfect photo to represent this past year, I think, as this past year has been all about spending time with my family. I moved back in with my parents unexpectedly but have decided to stay for a bit to save up some money, and I've been very much enjoying stuff like kitty cuddles, home cooked meals (yum!), getting to see my sisters more often and helping my youngest sister plan her wedding.

Work-wise there have been some ups (a new book) and some downs (closing my supplies shop) this year. Mostly though I have been working fewer hours - keeping things ticking over and putting bigger plans on hold - so I could spend more time with my mum, who was diagnosed with breast cancer early last spring. If you read my blog regularly you may remember how I was a bit absent from my blog this time last year because of "family stuff" - well, this is what that was about!

We were very lucky that the cancer was caught early, but as anyone who has experienced cancer in their family will know, it's been a scary and stressful time. My mum (who is a very tough cookie) has gone through surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy and come out the other side smiling, and with as close to an "all clear" as I think it's possible to get at this point. Best birthday present ever.


18 comments:

Sarah said...

Happy birthday, and very glad to hear your mum is doing well

Vesle Serena said...

Oh I understand perfectly what you have gone through!
I am so happy she is doing better now. Best wishes for your 31! :)

Kittypinkstars said...

Happy Birthday to you and best wishes for you and your family! My Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer 2 and a half years ago.. He's on hormone therapy and it's constantly there in the back of all our minds... So I'm with you there! Big love XX

Jane said...

Glad your Mum is doing well, have so many similar experiences with my husband and his Mum both having cancer around the same time, both are thankfully well now. As someone who turned 40 two years ago can relate the the 30 stuff too. Happy Birthday, hope its a good one.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Laura, and all my best wishes for you and your family!
Hugs from Portugal!

Jodie / Lova Revolutionary said...

Happy Birthday! Hope your Mom continues to do well, sending well wishes to your family!

bairozan said...

Happy birthday! So it's been kind of a return to childhood for you this past year :). All my best wishes to your mother!

Bigbluebed said...

Happy Birthday! And what a year! But here's to your mum who sounds a lovely, strong lady.

C said...

Happy early 31st! So good to hear your mother is doing better. Best wishes for her continued good health.

Sheila said...

Happy Birthday-I hope this year is better than ever.
x

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday !!! So pleased to hear your Mum is doing well xx

danielle said...

I also will be 31 in June, so Happy Birthday to both of us!

Giovi's Creations said...

Happy, happy, happy birthday to you dear! Congrats for a new year full of experiences and learnings. Hugs for your mum, from a cancer survivor too :)
All my best wishes,
Giovi

Dylla Abas said...

happy becoming birthday!! me also will turn to 31 on this august :)

Melissa Crowe said...

Lady--I'm so glad to hear about your mom's return to health. That makes me awfully happy for all of you. And happy almost-birthday! :-)

LindyLaine said...

Belated Birthday Wishes! xxx Our family has been through a similar situation and I'm happy to say my sister has been free of her ovarian cancer for around a year now. So glad your Mum is doing well too :)

Alex - The Interior DIYer said...

I'm SO HAPPY to hear your mom is doing well Laura. Oh man, I cannot imagine what it was like for you and your family. It's amazing when things like that happen, it puts everything else into perspective. Especially the things we think are so important.

That sounds like an incredibly awesome present for you this year :)

xx A

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks so much for all your kind words, everyone. My mum and I really appreciated them xxx